Thursday, August 4, 2011

The OTHER reason my gear is important

I didn't want to admit this when I spoke about what I carry on a run or in reporting my most recent run on fb but there is a second reason why I like a consistency in most of my gear: It puts my mind in the right place for what I'm about to do.

As I was packing my gear for Tuesday's run, I couldn't recall where I had taken off my Road ID. So not wanting to be late for work, I dashed out and ran without it. I got the run done but it messed with my mojo. Mark's guest bloggers on writers' creative spaces, combined with this silly unease caused something I read a while back to gel in my head.

It's not just creative things that need some manner of sacred space to be at your best, physical pursuits are that way as well. In "To Be A Runner" the author mentions that he views pre-training stretching as very important not because it has any physical benefit but it gives the athletes time to transition their minds from their day-to-day lives to being athletes. So it is with me and changing into my gear.

Oddly the least of my gear is the most important to me mentally. Even if I'm wearing nothing more than shoes and enough clothing to keep me from getting arrested, I wear my Road ID. If something were to happen (and it has happened to people younger and fitter than I), it ensures that the emergency responders will have a bit more knowledge about me and my family will be contacted. So the first thing I do after I exit the shower on the morning of a run day is to put on my Road ID. The pretense on my wrist keeps me mindful of what will be expected of me today.

I did find it when I came home that day, hanging on the handle of my bike to dry out, in plain view and today, it's on my wrist. It reminds me that I have some tempo running to do tonight and it will be hard and it will hurt but I'll get it done. Because I'm a runner.

5 comments:

  1. You know how I've been frustrated with my HRM strap not working??? This sounds exactly why. I know I can workout without it, but I like having it...it's part of my mindset when working out....being able to monitor my heart rate....having it not working drives me bonkers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm sure. That would mess with me a bit too. FWIW, they have replacements on Amazon for $35.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah....I was looking into that yesterday -- I may just have to do that. Ugh!!! It just sucks that it's not working....I've only had the thing for just over a year. Granted, I use the heck out of it, but I had at least one HRM strap that last for 3 or 4 years, and I used it with two different watches!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is some great writing here, George. Well written and soulful. Enormous. I could use 500 words to expound on that but I think you get what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I feel ya Wendy. I've used mine to the point where the lettering on the front has been worn clean off...but I'd still be annoyed to replace it.

    Thanks Marsha! I think I could have found my way to the darned point more quickly but I tend to think in circles in the morning ;-)

    ReplyDelete