Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Character is what you are in the dark

The title is a throw away non-sequitor from The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across The 8th Dimension but it has stuck with me as a fundamental truth.

How do you act when you have an excuse? What do you do when you know people will forgive you anyway? I was thinking about that a lot over lunch. The start of my week wasn't so good. I usually refuel on Sunday after my run but I went a bit further than usual. Last night I caved to a burning need for Mexican and I ate the hell out of it. It's very probable that I'm not going to lose any weight this week. I know full well that everyone would remind me that I've done so well so far and that I shouldn't be worried about a small gain.

That's one of the biggest things I've learned through this whole process. There is such a fine line between holding you accountable and beating you up more than darn few people are willing to go there...I don't blame them, when in doubt I default to cheerleading mode too. Bottom line: The only person who is going to hold you accountable all the time, is the one that can see you in the dark.

I put down the menu and ate what I brought with me...no one will see it on the scale this week but I know what I did.

1 comment:

  1. The guilt happens to me a lot when I over indulge, too. Just track it and move on - and do better next time! Sometimes when I over indulge I find that it's because I've been denying myself of small indulgences throughout the week, too.

    ReplyDelete