Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Gear!

A recent conversation with Katy regarding my running GPS made me realize that since I've moved...and in the hopes that one of them offers me a lucrative endorsement deal, here is what comes with me on my runs. Obvious stuff like a cell phone and shorts is left off the list. Funny that almost none of it is REQUIRED. A cheap pair of shoes from Target and a runner could be out the door. It's just that the longer I spend running, the more I treasure the few bits of gear that make the experience more enjoyable, both during and after.

Brooks Ravenna 2 - My latest tweak on running shoes. They are a compromise shoe offering some motion control while staying light and responsive on my feet.

Superfeet Green - The firmer foam in these things just eats up the impact.

Balega Enduro Socks -  These things are magic. They can evaporate an 8 oz. glass of water in five seconds flat.

Amphiphod Full-Tilt - There is a lot I like about this bottle but one thing I don't. It moves around too much. It's getting replaced by the Full-Tilt AirStretch Velocity at the end of the season.

Garmin Forerunner 305 - I can't gush enough about a single piece of gear. Not only does it remove the tedium of a training log but it can be programmed to coach you through technical workouts and in a pinch has helped me navigate out of a trail run gone bad (sudden darkness and driving rain). I would replace it with one of the newer/cooler models but it simply refuses to die.

Apple iPod Shuffle (2nd Generation) - It's an old cheap iPod.

Road ID - Emergency contact and medical info on your wrist. It's so obvious that they should almost be compulsory.

Buff - I sweat buckets and this is about the only headgear that is able to keep the sweat out of my eyes.

Body Glide - I ALMOST didn't mention this but really, it's the one thing that's coming with me even when I run without the Garmin and the music. If you sweat for an extended period, sweat is going to evaporate, leaving salt. Salt that will abrade your skin to the point of drawing blood...and that's about as fun as it sounds.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you posted this! I think I'm going to have to get a bottle pack thing too, like yours. Right now I don't take water on my runs -- at what mileage do you find you need to rehydrate? I don't think I'm there yet.

    I love my Brooks shoes too! Hopefully I love my Garmin too, it's waiting for me when I get home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still heart my Garmin 305 -- just wish the HRM strap was working. New battery plus resetting didn't seem to work. Haven't been doing enough running lately to really look into it, though. Grrr...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still trying to justify the expense of a Garmin. I use my mobile phone for tracking my pace and route. I guess I don't know if the heart rate features are worth the cost. I've never worried about or tracked my heart rate, I just run.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katy, I typically start drinking with any run over 2 miles. Start drinking before I'm dehydrated and I not only perform better but recover faster. I pretty much always wear the belt just to make sure that I'm used to the belt.

    That does suck Wendy...IIRC a replacement isn't even that expensive if it comes to that. I still owe you huge for talking me into getting mine.

    Honestly Zach, with the changes in such apps just over the past six months makes that a more valid choice than ever. It's really once the running becomes an end on its own that the Garmins start to make more sense.

    ReplyDelete