Monday, August 1, 2011

First, let me get this out of the way: I've re-re-re-rejoined Weight Watchers. I've finally gotten okay with the notion that discarding "good" because it's not "perfect" is kinda silly. Yes, not everything they tell you is correct, yes some meetings are still soul destroying, yes the program isn't a perfect fit for my life. And yet... it fucking works. Week one, -13 lbs. It's really tough to argue with that. Of course there was the usually dismissive "because he's a man..." bullshit in the meeting...and as usual I was having NONE of that. "No, it's because I earned it. I work HARD for my loss. How many activity points do you have this week? I already have THIRTY." That kinda ended that line of discussion.

It was a decent week for running. The hamstring still isn't right but it keeps feeling better and I got 20 miles in this week. I'm going to have to take a look at my training schedule and make some changes. With the hamstring injury the 2:00:00 half just isn't going to happen. Not really a big deal, I just need to tweak the training and dump some of the speedwork for the next few weeks since that seems to aggravate the injury.

We picked up another bike for Doreen. She wanted to use her road bike from when she was a girl to start thinking about a triathlon but the problems are huge: It doesn't fit her, it's old enough and obscure enough that parts are a serious problem and it's in ROUGH shape. This weekend someone on Craigslist curb dumped a bike similar to hers but newer/better/in better condition so we drove by and picked it up. It needs cleaned, new brake cables and new tires/tubes but other than that, it's a fine example of an old school ladies 10 speed road bike. We should be able to put that back on the road for well under $100.

It's gonna be a rough week at work but so it goes. Speaking of, time to get back to it.

5 comments:

  1. Just want to say hi. I also jumped ship as it is just frustrating and so on, I haven't given up on reading over there, but posting, yes.

    I added your new blog to my subscriptions, mine is over at wordpress if you wanna continue to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There we go! I had forgotten that I could use FB to log in at wordpress. Back in business!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo for rejoining WW! Are you on WW online and do you have a profile set up? Please add me (klgsiren), I'm trying to be more active on the site since I'm paying for eTools and all!

    I can't believe people in your meeting would actually discount your loss "because you're a guy" and why would they even think of saying something? I hope the leader at least stepped in and said that wasn't appropriate...and you are VERY active so good for you for pointing that out to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, it never really occurred to me how dismissive the "you're a guy" statement is until I read this and thought about it. I'm running 10 miles a week and watching what I eat every day, like you, I've earned my 30lbs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post, George. Thanks for communicating what's going on in your world.

    ReplyDelete