Monday, January 7, 2013

Once more into the breech

It's funny. I sit down for a status update but you know what, this is the part we've all seen 1000 times. This time of year is especially rife with the well meaning resolutions of what our friends will do differently in the coming year. So, I'm going to keep this short.

Life has been lumpy. I used this as an excuse to eat too much and eat the wrong sorts of things. As a result the combination of the weak knee and the increased weight mean that, for now, I'm no longer a runner. I'll be getting my butt up on the elliptical, on stationary bikes and taking walks. The weight training will continue...strong muscles gets me back into action sooner instead of later.

In the meantime I'm tracking my food with SparkPeople again. With the Disney trip coming in under a month, it's very tempting to continue to coast...after all, I won't be on point when I'm on vacation but I really don't need *more* excuses in my life. Fourty five is by no means old in this day and age but the body does undergo changes that make staying focused on food and fitness more important.

I've also taken some of my own advice for recovering and first time runners. I'm doing Hal Higdon's 30/30 plan. For 30 days, I'm out the door, on my feet and moving for at least 30 minutes. This won't help the cardio but it will keep all the connective tissue strong so that hopefully, not too long after I'm recovered from Disney, I can start running again.

So, that's the plan. Now to execute.

3 comments:

  1. You got this, George. You are one of the strongest people I know, and such an inspiration with both weight loss and fitness, amidst other things. I know you can accomplish whatever you set your mind to. I'm excited to hear what that is. :o)

    Side note - what dates will you be here? We need to get together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen!
      I will be rolling up in your place Jan 27 and there through Friday. I know, I know, it sucks since I'm all about the week day. I feel like a tool for not thinking to ask before I threw a pile of dining reservations at the whole thing. FOO!

      Delete
  2. Walking can improve cardio George....Just up the pace a bit...Keep taking the pictures.

    ReplyDelete