Thursday, November 8, 2012

Courage

People have two bits of short sightedness when it comes to courage. I think a lot of this is due courage and bravery and heroism being over attributed these days.

Courage requires an action. That's not a popular position since we like to think of people who simply endure as brave and heroic but frankly that's not true. To simply suffer is not brave. To choose to continue to suffer as a choice, for a reason...that's different but there is a common denominator. There is a moment when you decide to do something that possibly will cost you, something that honestly makes little sense to the logical mind but is simply what is right. For some reason people aren't comfortable with this. Perhaps they think it sounds boastful, perhaps they never see it in themselves, perhaps they think that heavy stew of emotional actions is uncomfortable to own but for what ever the reason, people are a lot more comfortable with owning actions that are really just...smart.

Let's take Minerva for example.

People LOVE the moment when she awakens the statues. She is getting her upper lip stiffened and putting stuff in motion but seeing how she is slightly giddy is telling you that this is honestly just a logical choice. The bad guys are coming and they are ready to make war. She knows the spell, she's putting the defenses in place to try to win. This really isn't particularly brave...this is just good sense. Put all your pieces out on the board. This shows why this lady was (as rumor has it) almost sorted Ravenclaw.






Now let's talk about the less funny, less comfortable moment that is hers. When she shoves Harry Potter out of her way to draw down on Snape. This is courage. She is potentially offering her life for Harry. Being a smart woman, she knows she is starting a war and even if she wins, she might die. Even if she wins and doesn't die, people she loves WILL die...that's what war is. She does it anyway because it's right and it's what she needs to do. This is showing why she's the leader of the Griffondors.





Tossing up a fairly undramatic but resolved restart post without stats (you know we will love you and cheer every victory anyway) shows that you know the only person who can hold you accountable, REALLY is...you. You have to make the choices to eat right, to do the workouts and become a better Jen. Clearly you've given it a bit of thought but it's equally clear this is something you *need* to do.

So, yea. You aren't doing the pragmatic thing. You are starting a fucking war lady!

5 comments:

  1. First off, I am so touched you wrote a post for me - truly. No one has ever done that before, and it gives me so much hope and pride and happiness that I have a friend who supports and cares for me and my success so much! Thank you, George.

    Confession...I have a Harry Potter Pinterest board, and wanted a photo of something HP-related to put on my blog to kind of joke about how HP is so amazing it is totally better than reality. While McGonagall is my favorite regardless, I sort of chose the photo I did at random. I actually love the Snape scene so much more and I legit cried at it the first time I saw the movie - she is such a BAMF I can't handle it!

    You are 100% right about the difference, and how action is the only way to showcase bravery and strength. I have been slacking on that front lately and really just using a lot of excuses, most of which are completely irrelevant, to let me slack on something that deep down is very important to me. I stopped biting my nails so that my future children don't see me and pick up the habit like I did...why am I not allowing myself to reach that same destination with my health and fitness? There's no answer other than laziness and feeling sorry for myself, just like that comic said.

    I had such an easy time when Josh left me because there was an element I could say LOOK WHAT YOU GAVE UP to, even if it was only in my mind. Maybe I need to find what that is this time permanently...I can't think of anything past my own fear, but you know what? Maybe that's enough.

    I'm super emotional right now..very touched. Thanks for being such a great friend and such an integral part of my support system. I'm very thankful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some things to be said that don't quite fit in the little comment boxen, not to mention two videos of Minerva swashing her buckle. So, it was my pleasure.

    This is a subject that has been on my brain a bit of late. I start most mornings with a very spiffy fan video of "Touch The Sky" from Brave and one of the reasons I dig that movie is that this is the second of the Princesses (to my mind) who is properly brave. Merida made the choice at the beginning to put herself in harms way for her ideals. That shit is important.

    and it's in there. As is Disney movies, occasionally so too is life: It doesn't always come out for the best of reasons but now you've seen what you can do and it's time to make peace with that just being one more facet to who you are.

    I'm always proud to offer any support my friend. You've been there for me and likely will need to be so again...that's how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :o) Thanks George. Love that you brought Disney in too haha but how could you not, right!? xD Out of curiosity...which other princess would you say has the brave thing going on?

      Delete
    2. That would be Mulan. The moment when she "mans up" is a very conscious decision to risk herself to save her father.

      Delete
    3. True! I could also argue the same for Belle though when she takes Maurice's place in the Beast's dungeon. ;o) /Bellestanforlyfe

      Delete