Monday, October 24, 2011

Peace

I was thinking about this during yesterday's long run. Running gives the best sense of community with people I don't know that I've ever felt. Sure, it's not the first group identity I've ever had, it likely won't be my last but I think it has to do with the shared feelings of some very powerful emotions that gives this whole "Kuria Ba"* vibe.

I was running along, seeing people who were having their last long run before the Harrisburg Marathon and their last long run of the season. There is the pride of accomplishment beaming out of so many faces. They know they are ready, there is also the melancholy feeling that this is the end of the season, the last we will see each other for a few months. Everyone is bright and alert, soaking it all in, knowing that there are just too few days like this. It's odd that people I know as "Mutt & Jeff," "The Little Brunette Girl," "Serious Guy" and "Giggles" mean something to me and I suppose I to them. I know virtually nothing about them but the little things I know are important.

Running is so primal that it brings forth emotions. You will know pain, you will know exuberance, you will know utter exhaustion, you will win, you will lose, you will be afraid and you will be a super-hero. You know about blisters, about chafing, about heat, about sweat and you'll know that crossing the finish line make all of it worth it. They acknowledge you when they see you, seldom trading more than a single word of encouragement...but they are always encouraging, they know you need it. Your friends really don't understand, they love you so they listen, they ask questions and they do their best but it's like explaining petting a kitten to someone who's seen a picture of one.

So we smile and we wave at each other and I'm very aware of a strong sense of community. I will miss these people over the winter. I'll keep running and I'm sure they will too but once it becomes cold, there is no longer a best time to run so the odds of seeing each other dwindles. I flash each of them a peace sign when they pass. They smile brightly because they know it's a sincere wish, that each day would bring them this feeling. We are one.

*Kuria Ba - Is a greeting of the Raramuri people meaning "We are one." The Raramuri came to the attention of runners around the world as a result of the Christopher McDougall book "Born to Run."

No comments:

Post a Comment